The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has denied claims that former Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai, was prevented from seeing his doctor or receiving food while in its custody.
The anti-graft agency described the allegations as “false and misleading”, following accusations made by Mohammed Bello, a member of the House of Representatives and son of the former governor.
Bello had alleged that ICPC officials stopped el-Rufai’s wife from bringing him food and also denied a doctor access to attend to him.
Responding on Monday, ICPC spokesperson, Okor Odey, said the commission operates a clear access protocol which permits visits between 9:00am and 6:30pm.
“The families of all defendants and suspects in ICPC custody, including the family in question, were duly informed of this protocol and have, until this incident, been in compliance,” Odey said.
According to him, el-Rufai’s wife arrived at the facility outside the approved visiting hours.
“On the Friday in question, one of the defendant’s wives and a housemaid were permitted to bring food to the defendant on no fewer than three occasions between 10:30am and 5:30pm,” he stated.
Odey added that authorised visitors, including lawyers, family members and medical personnel, are allowed access under supervised conditions, but stressed that entry is not permitted after the official closing time.
He also pointed to a viral video involving el-Rufai’s wife, saying she admitted she had delivered breakfast and lunch to her husband earlier in the day, contradicting claims that he was denied food.
“Furthermore, the woman herself admitted in the same video that she had delivered both breakfast and lunch to her husband earlier that day, thereby contradicting the allegation that the ICPC denied him access to food,” he said.
On the medical allegation, the commission maintained that standard security procedures were followed.
Odey said officials only requested proper identification from the medical personnel and confirmation from el-Rufai before granting access.
“It bears mentioning that in the week preceding this incident, Malam el-Rufai had requested, and was granted permission to visit both his dentist and eye doctor on two separate occasions,” he said.
The ICPC added that the former governor also has access to the commission’s in-house medical services when needed, insisting it would not be drawn into what it described as “dramatised narratives” aimed at bypassing lawful procedures.
